Info for New Players
Are you new to the sport of Ultimate? Whether you’ve got no idea how it works, or you’ve played it casually with your friends before, you’re welcome to join in with what we’ve got going on in Brighton Ultimate.
First of all, here’s a quick introduction to the sport, then some useful websites to check out for more details and tips.
How to play Ultimate Frisbee
1. Set up the pitch to scale (marking the endzone corners), and divide into two teams of 7 or less players.
2. Each team begins the point in their own endzone, one team ‘pulls’ the disc to the other to initiate play.
- Score a point by catching a pass in your opponent’s endzone.
- The disc may be advanced in any direction by completing a pass to a teammate.
- Players may not run with the disc, and must pass within 10 seconds (if counted by a marker).
- Possession changes to the other team when the disc is intercepted, blocked, caught out of bounds, dropped, or thrown to ground. The other team picks it up and is then trying to score in their opponent’s endzone.
- Switch ends after each point; raise a hand in the air to signal you are ready for the ‘pull’.
- No contact; a foul occurs when a player initiates contact with another player, as called by the player fouled.
- Spirit of the Game: Competitive play is encouraged, but never at the expense of respect between players, adherence to the rules, and the basic joy of play. Ultimate is a self-refereed sport.
- Advanced: Run, jump, dive, intercept, and catch the disc for big plays which will help your team.
- Printable version of these rules.
- Ultimate in 10 Easy Steps – The basic rules of the game.
- Pictorial guide to Ultimate – This is a GREAT place for a brand new player to start.
- The Ultimate Handbook – All kinds of great stuff here.
- The World Flying Disc Federation rules [PDF link] – Brighton Ultimate plays by the WFDF 2013 rules.
- The UK Ultimate Association – the governing body for Ultimate Frisbee in Great Britain and Northern Ireland; they organise national tournaments and oversee the selection of GB teams for international events
Finally, come and play Ultimate with us! Check out the Practices page for info on our current training session schedule.
Please send any questions you might have about getting involved with Brighton Ultimate to: email@example.com